Fort McMurray Fire Relief Press Release
For Immediate Release
ASTech Patrons are Alberta Strong during vulnerable times
ALBERTA, CANADA (May 12, 2016) – In the midst of the devastating Fort McMurray fires, ASTech and its many Patron sponsors are stepping up to do their part in helping the thousands of people affected by the wildfires.
Anytime a disaster happens it's an extremely unfortunate thing, and the Fort McMurray fires are no exception. However these circumstances have brought out the generous side of our extremely brave emergency personnel workers, businesses, schools and organizations, including our own Patrons. Even regular citizens are banding together to create a wave of support for the people suffering from this tragedy, and have given birth to a new social movement called Alberta Strong.
We are very proud of our many Patrons who have gone above and beyond to help those in need.
- Syncrude has made a $100,000 donation to Canadian Red Cross and made a public statement where their President & CEO expressed his heartfelt sadness and support for the evacuees
- University of Calgary has over 1,200 evacuees currently staying on campus, and they also hosted a Mother's Day event for Fort McMurray residents
- SAIT has opened up their residence buildings to approximately 700 Fort McMurray evacuees
- University of Alberta is providing food, shelter, and parking to approximately 400 Fort McMurray evacuees, and have also hosted a fundraising BBQ with all proceeds going to relief efforts
- The NAIT Students' Association held a fundraising car wash where 100% of profits went to the Red Cross’ Alberta Fire Appeal
- Other Patrons including Telus, Bennett Jones and others are quietly raising money to help relief efforts
ASTech recognizes that these are tough times, and there isn't enough gratitude in the world to express how much we appreciate the generous spirit that is spreading throughout the country. We would like to extend our sincerest wishes to those affected by the Fort McMurray fires, and we hope that all evacuees get back on their feet as soon as possible.
About the ASTech Foundation
The Alberta Science and Technology Leadership Foundation (ASTech) was created in 1989 to showcase the critical science and technology foundations in the key industries driving the Alberta economy. We encourage innovation by highlighting stories of success and rewarding inspired leadership.