This award is presented to an individual or team working in academia, industry, or government. The recipient(s) must be currently active in a research group and have demonstrated exceptional research ability or have developed a technology of significance to the Alberta oil sands industry.
A nomination may be made in one of the following three areas, all of which are equally weighted:
- Significant research leading to an improved understanding of any process.
- Fundamental research leading to the advancement of knowledge.
- Development of novel processes or systems.
The nomination should describe the research or technology development ability of the nominee, as well as the advancement in both fundamental and/or applied research. The winner is judged according to the quality of the research/development program.
This award is sponsored by Syncrude Canada Ltd. which provides a cash prize of $10,000 to the winner.
Written nomination submission MUST address one or more of the following criteria:
Significant research leading to an understanding of any process
- Describe the research and how it is unique.
- How has the innovation advanced fundamental and/or applied research?
Fundamental research leading to the advancement of knowledge
- Describe how the research has advanced new knowledge.
Development of novel processes or systems
- Describe the uniqueness of the processes or systems.
Demonstrate social and economic impact
- How does the technology or innovation contribute to improved quality of life?
- How does it enhance economic development? For example, does it create/and or retain high paying jobs?
- How does it further the growth and diversification of Alberta's economy?