This award recognizes an individual, team, or company that has demonstrated exceptional innovation or has developed a technology of significance to Alberta's agriculture, agrifood, or agrivalue™ industries. The recipient must be currently active in the scientific area for which they are being nominated.
A nomination may be made for any activity directed towards the development, production, processing, or other innovative use of agriculture food or fibre. Nominations may also recognize technological innovations with roots in other disciplines such as medicine, nutrition, biotechnology, or information technologies that impact the agricultural sector.
All eligible areas receive equal weight.
The nomination should clearly describe the innovation, breakthrough, or advancement that has been made using existing or new technology including its impact on agriculture-related products and/or activities in Alberta.
All nominees must exemplify significant scientific contribution, industry initiative and commercial potential or success in enhancing the value provided by, and received for, agricultural products & services.
This award is sponsored by Dow AgroSciences Canada which provides a cash prize of $10,000 to the winner.
Written nomination submission MUST address the following criteria:
Innovation, breakthrough or advancement using existing or new technology
- Clearly demonstrate how the innovation is a scientific breakthrough in the future development of value added agricultural products and services in Alberta.
- Describe the commercial opportunity for a range of applications using the innovation or scientific breakthrough.
- Explain how the research, entrepreneurial talent and expertise driving the innovation have been recognized internationally.
- Clearly describe how the innovation has played a key role in growing the value of the nominee's business, or more broadly, the industry sector.
- Describe how the innovation provides a competitive advantage for Alberta's agriculture industry.
- Clearly describe the expected impact of the innovation and how it will attract substantial research and/or entrepreneurial expertise to Alberta industry in the next three years.
- How does the technology contribute to improved quality of life?
- How does it enhance economic development? For example, does it create and/or retain high paying jobs?
- How does it further the growth and diversification of Alberta's economy?